Wednesday, October 8, 2008

CM Lab

In the previous entry, I was bickering about how there are too many steps to this configuration management process. While I have not fully mastered everything, I still must say it is not that easy compared to the previous assignments. However, there are good news. That is I'm getting the hang of checking out, updating, and comitting with TortoiseSVN.

The Grunt Work is Becoming Bearable...

Luckily for us, the project all contained a similar URL and I only needed to change the project to stack- of whoever it belongs to. Nice and simple. I guess I somewhat already noticed that the googlecode.com password is the same for all projects. If I wasn't already sure, this third time using it confirmed it. I haven't looked into it, but hopefully there's a way to create our own password. I would hate to need to copy and paste that weird set of characters each time I set up a new project.

Check Out, Update, Verify and Commit

I verified both before and after I finished working on Phillip's stack. All was successful so hopefully I don't get a message back about how I messed things up. That would be awful. I really did everything in my power before commiting. I treated it as a commitment to helping while not destroying.

I've only edited minors things. The stack project name in eclipse was simply "stack". I changed it to "stack-klau4" for a couple of reasons. The first was mainly because I already had 3 other stack assignments imported into Eclipse. I need a way to distinguish between the others. The second is because I think the assignment requests for us to include our name in the project.

Everything else seemed okay in the code so I just touched up some JavaDoc for consistency. I noticed in one method, there was an @exception while others (that also included thrown errors) didn't. I even looked up Elements of Java Style to see. It's weird how I never noticed that the book suggests we include @exception tag whereas CheckStyle will complain about not including @throws. To keep with Philip's documentation, I added @exception to the others, but also left the @throws for CheckStyle's sake.

Looks like I See the Light at the End of the Tunnel

Early on, it felt like I was driving through a tunnel with no headlights on. Lost and confused, often times at a stop, trying to figure out how I'm going to finish this. But as I use all of the sites and TortoiseSVN all together, I am beginning to get used to how things work. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Sometimes I worked for long periods of time. In a larger group, there is likely a chance that someone else updated the project in between my commit. I need to get used to updating the project more often. I simply commit once the project passes verify. Another concern, or more of a question really, is the empty packages I am seeing. I noticed when I import the projects I've obtained through TortoiseSVN into Eclipse, there are a couple of empty packages that appear. It is weird how when I commit mines, those empty package don't exist. I am not sure how important this is (probably not seeing how they're empty). But it did make me wonder what was causing it. Perhaps I'll figure it out another time. Is it something everyone's computer is doing except mines, or is it just one person in the entire group responsible for it?

No comments: